Sunday, May 10, 2009

Eating for two

I've always had a fairly healthy appetite rather than being one to shy away from food because I thought I needed to cut back. But lately, I'm learning an all new meaning for the word "appetite". When you look up the word appetite in the dictionary, it gives synonyms like ravenousness, hungriness, and hankering. Oh my word...sometimes I feel like even these terms don't describe how much I want to eat. I wake up in the morning and instantly want a huge breakfast. In fact, sometimes, as I'm falling asleep at night, I start thinking about what I'll have for breakfast the next day. And breakfast honestly seems to be the meal that I fantasize about most. Even throughout the day, I could only eat breakfast food and be perfectly satisfied!

I'm thankful that I'm not craving tons of junk food (which I totally thought I would); in fact, I would rather down a whole pint of blueberries in two seconds or eat an entire watermelon (if only they were in season!) So my problem is that I'm craving lots of fruit, but after eating it, I'm still starving. Like "someone-give-me-some-food-right-now-or-there's-going-to-be-blood" starving!! This is crazy...I've never been this obsessed with food...okay, maybe except for an extremely unhealthy addiction to pepperoni in college, which thankfully was only a stage.

I know your body goes through all kinds of crazy stuff when you're pregnant, but this appetite thing is really amazing to me. I wonder how impoverished women who are pregnant deal with their body's unbelievable desire for food that they may or may not be able to buy and consume. It makes me incredibly thankful that I have a food budget and my nearby Kroger, with a recent sale of blueberries...$1.49 per pint.

No comments: