I feel like I change my mind every day on this baby issue. Andrew and I go round and round on this constantly. One day I think I'm really ready to consistently engage in the "trying process", and then other days, I have second thoughts. This morning on the Today Show, they talked about how the connection between a husband and wife can fizzle after a baby is born, due to the lack of quality time together. This psychiatrist who wrote the book they were discussing said that she recognized how she was having an emotional affair with her perfect newborn, while her imperfect husband stood on the sidelines. Andrew shouts from the living room, "You see...this is going to happen!" And of course, I know there is some truth to all this. I also recognize that every couple is different, and marriage is all about growing and changing together through life stages. But come on, you gotta admit that this deserves some consideration.
But then again, everyday I'm reminded that I'm definitely not in the "mommy club" and not getting any younger (as I pull out more and more gray hair every morning). So I leave this open-ended, and welcome your thoughts : )
3 comments:
We can all talk ourselves out of parenthood - sure life is easier without a little one following you around but not its for sure not sweeter. Today SK looks at me as says, "Mommy I want to keep you" ... tell me you don't want a little one to say that to you. They melt you and that includes your husband! Marriage is different but once you add to your family things seem to deepen - maybe because you feel more like a family than just a couple. Then when I do have time alone with my husband it makes it 10X sweeter:) Stop thinking so much!!!!!
it does change marriage. it is hard. like any decision, you lose things- and like any major decision, you gain things, maybe even more than you lose. I am only 8 weeks into this gig, so I am no expert, but I will say this- it's pretty unbelievable.
I guess on paper all the issues with having a baby...the responsibilty, the physical, emotional, and financial strain...seem pretty daunting. To be honest, yes, there will be a strain on your romance. But at the same time, you'll receive this huge opportunity to love in a way you've never loved before. It's amazing, and Jeff and I have a bigger deeper love for each other despite it's challenges.
Post a Comment