Tomorrow is Andrew's and my 5th year anniversary : ) I was thinking today that we've been in a relationship for almost 6 1/2 years, which is more than my undergraduate and graduate school years combined. Andrew and I talk all the time about how when you're in any kind of school, your life is defined by goals and endings. Life is about semesters and graduations, and when things are tough, it's easy enough to remember that this phase will pass as all the others have. Five years of marriage however has taught me that when things are hard, it's not a phase that will just pass with the change of a semester. But the difference from when I was in school is that I don't feel alone with the hardships. Sure, marriage is hard, but it's not just hard for me individually or for Andrew individually. It's hard for us as a couple because we're growing and changing together now. I love knowing that someone is with me in facing challenges and difficulties, especially when they seem to be the same ones over and over again. And I can't imagine facing those with anyone other than Andrew.
He still makes me laugh like no other, and he makes me think outside the box--which I especially love because I would always rather stay tucked safely in the box : ) He has given me room to really figure out what I think and what I believe, and he encourages me to follow my dreams and use my own voice rather than to always follow the voices of those around me. I love that we genuinely enjoy being together, and when we're apart, well...it still really sucks. People say, "Just wait til you have kids...it'll all change." Maybe it will...maybe it won't. All I know is that at the end of the day on August 14, 2009, I can honestly say that I love my hubby so much more than I did on August 14, 2004. So here's to still being cheesy : )
No comments:
Post a Comment