So I took Andrew to a Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson/John Mellencamp concert last night for our five year anniversary. Now, I honestly was not a fan of Bob Dylan or Willie Nelson before dating Andrew. Of course you have to appreciate Bob Dylan for his songwriting ability no matter if you're an actual fan or not, but I've definitely grown more appreciative of both over the past five years. I have to say that after seeing them in concert, I'm officially calling myself a fan. I was impressed at Willie Nelson's ability to play without stopping for as long as he did. He was super engaging and played all the old favorites that got the crowd up on their feet and singing along. Then John Mellencamp played, and well...I'm just not a fan. But then, Bob Dylan played. Now, Andrew had warned me that he could sound very strange or exactly like he does on one of his CDs. The best part is not knowing what you're going to get with him. What we got was a bluesy, gravelly-voiced Bob Dylan, who actually played a number of familiar tunes. What was interesting is that he played these familiar tunes, but they didn't sound anything like what I was used to singing along to. The lady sitting next to me said, "He sounds awful." And I'm thinking, "This is pretty cool." He didn't have to sing some of his greatest hits, but he did. But he surely doesn't have to sing them exactly as the audience would want him to. He's the musician, and he can play his music anyway he feels like it. He played two of my favorites, "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" and "All Along the Watchtower", and I swear little baby Cannan loved it as much as I did. He/she kicked the entire time he played, which I must admit was probably just because it was loud but I'm choosing to believe it's because this baby has good taste in music! Andrew and I were thrilled to have seen these two great icons...for who knows how much longer they'll be around!
2 comments:
I think you'll find this interesting...
http://www.comcast.net/articles/music/20090814/US.People.Bob.Dylan/
love deb
Thanks Deb...yes, incredibly interesting. At the concert, one of the kids helping with parking admitted to not really knowing who Bob Dylan is. Andrew and I were shocked...16 year old clueless kid!
Post a Comment